Benefits - Frequently Asked Questions


How long do I have to make my election for healthcare?
  • Elections need to be made within 31 days from your hire date. Face-to-face benefit orientation sessions are scheduled on Mondays at 8:30 a.m. in the Human Resources Department. You will have an opportunity to meet with the Benefit Specialist to discuss your enrollment options. All forms must be completed and turned in to the Human Resource office within 31 days from your hire date.

Do we need referrals under our medical plan?
  • No primary care physician designation is required nor are specialist referrals required.

What happens if I go to an out-of-network health-care provider?
  • Our insurance carrier covers many health providers in our geographic area. However, if you choose to go to an out-of-network provider for services, the service received will be paid at the out-of-network co-insurance rate versus the in-network co-insurance rate. Therefore, the member will be responsible for all applicable out-of-pocket expenses.

What is Co-Insurance?
  • Co-Insurance is the percentage of your care for which the medical plan pays. For example, if your co-insurance is 100%, then the plan pays 100% after any deductible and copays. If it is 95% co-insurance, the plan pays 95% after deductibles and copays and the remaining co-insurance will be 5% (the member's responsibility).

Does Owens offer a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)?
  • Yes! An FSA is an account the member sets up through payroll deduction that allows the member to pay for out-of-pocket health care expenses (including dependant care) with pre-tax dollars. This is a great option if you frequently need healthcare-related items that are not typically covered by your primary health insurance (for example, contact lens solution, over-the-counter medications, medically necessary supplements, first aid equipment, and more). You can even be reimbursed for your co-insurance payments as described above. You will be able to check the full list of benefits on the insurance carrier's website once you are enrolled.

What amount of life insurance, if any, does Owens Community College (CCC) provide?
  • OCC provides each full-time employee with life insurance coverage of $50,000 minimum, or twice your annual salary, whichever is greater. If your coverage exceeds the $50,000 minimum, the 'premium value' beyond that level will be added to your gross taxable income on a monthly basis, occurring during the second pay date of each respective month. The amount of the extra premium is determined by several factors including the amount of extra coverage and your current age bracket. You can review this amount by going to https://intranet.owens.edu/hr/benefits.html.

How can I find out more details about these and other benefits available to me?
  • The Owens Intranet is a valuable resource for most of your employment questions. The main benefit page can be found at https://intranet.owens.edu/hr/benefits.html. Also, you can always contact the Human Resource office at 567-661-7292 during regular business hours.