To receive notetaking services students must also:
- Meet with a DS staff member to receive notetaking volunteer card(s) and review self-advocacy techniques.
- Meet with the instructor outside of class time and provide letter of accommodation. Discuss whether instructor notes are available on Blackboard or hard copy.
- If instructor notes are unavailable or insufficient, ask a classmate to serve as a volunteer notetaker and provide the volunteer with a notetaking card.
- Discuss with volunteer the following options:
Students may ask the instructor for assistance in announcing the need for a volunteer. In this case, student should:
- Free carbonless notetaking paper is available on Toledo campus at DS (Alumni Hall 103) or Findlay Campus (Enrollment Services waiting/reception room 112).
- Volunteer may make free photocopies at DS in Toledo or at Findlay Mail/Copy Center room 115CC.
- DS has AlphaSmart portable electronic keyboards, which students may sign out for the semester. For more information about AlphaSmart, see a DS Representative.
- Ask the instructor to announce the need for a volunteer notetaker and remind the instructor not to disclose the identity of the requesting student.
- Provide the instructor with the notetaking card and instructions for the volunteer to return the card to DS (Toledo) or Enrollment Services waiting/reception room 112 (Findlay).
- For the convenience of students and volunteers, volunteers may leave copies of notes at DS (Toledo) or Enrollment Services (Findlay). The requesting student should check regularly for notes, which will be placed in a folder labeled with student's first name and last initial.
If a volunteer cannot be located, students should contact DS for assistance. Students should evaluate the quality and consistency of the notes and inform the volunteer of any problems. If a resolution is not found, students should inform DS of the problem and discuss options for recruiting a new notetaker.
Students should attend class on a regular basis. Notes are not a substitute for class attendance.
View the Volunteer Notetaker Training PowerPoint
Earn Owens Bookstore gift certificates for a class (or classes) in which you are enrolled!
Receive free carbonless note paper from Disability Services, OR
Use Disability Services copy machine to make free copies of notes
Receive a certificate of appreciation (which looks impressive with your resume!)
- Contact DS representative to express interest
- Speak to the instructor if he/she makes an announcement in class
- (If the student gives you the notetaking card directly) Fill out the notetaking card and drop it off at Disability Services, Alumni Hall, room 103
Guidelines for volunteer notetakers
- Be on time. Attend class regularly!
- Take notes for assigned student only.
- Give notes to student after each class, or drop off notes(labeled with course and section number) at Disability Services.
- If unable to attend class, attempt to arrange for a replacement notetaker.
- If replacement is not available, contact Disability Services.
- Amount of gift certificate will be prorated if student drops course.
- Volunteers who do not fulfill notetaking commitments may not be eligible for a gift certificate.