Blackboard Online Test-taking Guide for Owens Community College Students
What to do before you take and assessment in Blackboard, especially when working off-campus:
- To take an assessment in Blackboard, it is recommended that you log in to the system directly at http://blackboard.owens.edu.
- Use a fresh login. If you have been working in Blackboard for longer than 30 minutes, logout, then log back in when you are ready to take your test.
- Make sure that the computer you plan to use is stable, free of spyware, and/or viruses.
Blackboard Browser Compatibility
Go here to view Blackboard Browser Compatibility.
For all systems:
- A high-speed Internet connection is highly recommended. However, if you use a dial-up connection to the Internet, disable call waiting on your telephone. If you use the same phone line for voice calls and to dial-up to the Internet, please ask everyone with access to the phone to refrain from picking up the receiver, as this could disconnect you from the Internet and make you lose access to the exam.
- If you are taking a timed assessment, have a clock or timer nearby, so you can keep an eye on the time.
- You should know how to contact your instructor, in case you encounter any problems during the Blackboard assessment.
- Wireless systems are more prone to service interruptions than wired internet access.
- If a security warning displays asking you to accept or trust the Design Science certificate; you may safely accept or trust this certificate and run the applet. If possible, click "always trust content from this publisher."
- Do not click anywhere outside the assessment or open additional windows or applications this may cause you to lose access to the exam. This includes the Back button/icon, Refresh button/icon, or double clicking any other links, buttons, or icons.
- Use caution when scrolling if you are using a mouse with a scroll wheel. First, click a blank area on the assessment, and then use the scroll wheel. Otherwise, you may accidentally change some of your answers.
- If all test questions are on the same page, occasionally click the save button at the bottom of the assessment (next to the Submit button).
- Before submitting the assessment, check over your answers to make sure none of them were accidentally changed by using the scroll wheel on your mouse improperly.
- If you receive an error message, write it down exactly as it reads. Also note the exact time and date of the problem, the Web browser you were using, exactly what you were doing when the error occurred, and any other relevant details you can recall. Send message to instructor and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When finished with the assessment, click the Submit button one time only, and give Blackboard up to five minutes to complete the submission process. You will receive a confirmation screen when your assessment has been submitted successfully. NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmations screen, contact your instructor immediately.
- If you encounter any problems during the assessment in Blackboard, you must contact your instructor. The IT Help Desk is not authorized to intervene in the Blackboard assessment process.
IT Help Desk: (567) 567-7120 or email@example.com
Fall and Spring terms:
Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.- 9 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.