Student outside College Hall, Student on his laptop, Pile of books

Frequently Asked Questions - Admissions

[Back to FAQ main page]

  1. What is Open Admission? What is Selective Admissions? Open Admission means that anyone who wants to go to Owens Community College can. Selective Admissions means that there are requirements that must be met in order to gain Admissions. Owens has an open Admission policy with the exception of Health Programs. Health programs have requirements that must be met in order to take the clinical courses required by the major.
  2. When do classes start? Owens has three (3) semesters during the calendar year: Spring (January-May), Summer (June-August), and Fall (August-December). Refer to the Academic Calendar to see when the next semester begins.
  3. How much do classes cost and can I get Financial Aid? The tuition depends on how many credit hours you take. Depending on which classes you take, there may be additional costs in the form of lab fees that you may be required to pay. Check out your balance through your Ozone account to see exactly how much you owe for the current semester. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The first step is to fill out the FAFSA form and to speak with our Oserve Office if you have questions or need assistance with the process.
  4. Do I need a High School Diploma or GED to start classes at Owens? No. Students do not need to have a high school diploma or GED to begin taking classes at Owens. However, in order to receive a degree or certificate from Owens, students must have a GED before they graduate. Students may take classes at Owens while working on their GED however, it is encouraged that they get their High School Diploma or GED prior to beginning classes at Owens. To be eligible for federal financial aid, students must have a high school diploma or GED.
  5. Why do I need to take a placement test? All new students who do not have any college credit or who have not taken the ACT need to take the COMPASS placement test. This is the only way to accurately place students into reading, writing, and math classes that are best suited for that student's abilities. The placement test is there to help ensure student success.
  6. This Transcript says that it is official, why won't the Records Office accept it? For the Records Office to accept an official transcript, it needs to be in a sealed envelope. If the envelope has been opened, the transcript becomes unofficial. When a school gives you a copy of your transcript in a sealed envelope to give to another school, do not open it.
  7. How many classes can I take? Students can take as many classes or as few classes as they want. There is no required minimum or maximum amount of classes that a student must take to be a student. However, if a student needs financial aid, they may need to take a minimum amount of credit hours. Students should speak with the Oserve Office regarding their situation. Students may also need a minimum amount of credit hours for health insurance purposes. Students should consult their insurance company for specific information.
  8. What is Ozone? Ozone is a source that all students can use to register for classes, view their schedule, pay their bill, view their financial aid information, view their grades and transcript, and have free e-mail. This system is available any place where you have Internet access.
  9. I am a current student at another college or university and would like to take a few classes at Owens. How can I get registered? To take classes at Owens, you must first submit an online application for admission.
    • Admission Application Fee
      If you are a new student, returning student who is applying for re-admission or international student, a $20 fee will be assessed for completing the admissions application beginning Monday, March 18, 2013. The fee will be charged at the time you register for classes.

      After you complete an admissions application, it remains active for one semester. If you do not register for classes during that semester, you must re-apply in order to attend classes the next semester.
    This application can be filled out online. You can fax or mail a transfer student form to the Records Office to register for the class(es) of your choosing. The Records Office phone and fax number as well as address are listed on the forms. Look in the class schedule to search for days and times.
  10. If I attend Owens, can I live on campus? No. Owens Community College does not currently own or manage any residence halls on either the Toledo or Findlay area campuses. For students attending Owens from out of town, there are apartments in the area that students can rent. Please view our housing webpage for a listing of apartments.
  11. How do I know if the classes I'm taking at Owens will apply to my degree at the college/university I plan to attend for my bachelor's degree? The online resource transferology (formerly helps students see how courses transfer and apply between two or more colleges or universities. You may also speak with an Admissions Representative or the Transfer Advisor for more information. All Students transferring out of Owens Community College are encouraged to keep in contact with their future school to be sure that the courses they are taking here will transfer and apply to the degree they want at the four-year school.

Visit Campus pictureOnline Classes picture