Owens Community College’s Walter E. Terhune Art Gallery and the Sofia Quintero Art and Cultural Center invite artists and the community to enter their work in our 3rd Annual exhibit ¡Creativo! The exhibition will take place in Heritage Hall Hub on the Owens Community College Campus. The exhibition dates are September 15 – October 15, 202
0 and the opening reception will be Thursday, September 17 from 6-8 p.m.
This exhibition is an opportunity for artists and community members to participate in our annual exhibit that celebrates the Latino and Hispanic culture in our community. ¡Creativo! is open to individuals and collaborations working in traditional media, new media, video, and installation. Two faculty members of the Owens Community College Center for Fine and Performing Arts Department will jury the exhibit and prizes will be awarded at the opening reception.
About Walter E. Terhune Art Gallery’s Mission
Owens Community College Center for Fine and Performing Arts/Walter E. Terhune Art Gallery is committed to exhibiting diverse, vibrant visual arts and to embedding arts programming within the Owens Community College curriculum and the community at large. Founded in 2003, the Terhune Gallery has been proud to host exhibitions with local and regional artists, as well as internationally recognized contemporary artists including Lorna Simpson, Judy Chicago, Donald Woodman, Mary Ellen Mark, Christo and Jeanne-Claude, and Jean-Michel Basquiat. The gallery has also showcased the work of renowned local artists including Ken Thompson, Jack Schmidt, and Leslie Adams.
About Sofia Quintero Art and Culture Center
The Sofia Quintero Art and Culture Center is a 501(c)3 non-profit Latino art organization founded in 1996 by members of the Mexican American community to support the artistic expressions of the local Latino community. The center was named after Sofia Quintero, the daughter of migrant farm workers who settled in the Toledo area. In her short life, Sofia was the first Latina to be voted into the Toledo Board of Education and was elected President of the Board. Her life was cut short by illness, but her joy of Latino culture, and her determination continues through the efforts of the Sofia Quintero Art & Culture Center, its board members, and active community members.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Exhibition is open to any artist in the Greater Toledo Area.
- Any size and medium of artwork will be considered including two-dimensional, three-dimensional, digital, and installation works.
- Up to 5 individual works of art with a total of 10 images may be entered. If you are submitting 3D works or installations, please offer multiple views and details within the 10 image limit.
- Video entries are limited to a total of 3.
- Deadline to apply: Saturday, August 1, 2020.
- Entrants will be notified on Friday, August 7.
- Accepted artwork should be ready to install with complete instructions for installation if necessary. Works with unusual or complex installation may require artist assistance during installation.
- All artwork must be shipped or hand-delivered to the Walter E. Terhune Art Gallery by Monday, September 7.
- If artwork is shipped you must use sturdy re-usable containers with a return shipping label so the artwork can be easily shipped back.
- Accepted artwork must remain in the exhibit for the duration of the show.
- Pick-up for artwork will be at Owens Center for Fine and Performing Arts at the Walter E. Terhune Art Gallery October 21 – 25, unless special arrangements are made. If another person will be picking up the artwork he or she must have the artist’s written permission.
- Specific shipping address and instructions will be provided once artwork has been accepted.
Release of Liability
It is recommended the artist insure their artwork at all times. From the time the works are received by the Walter E. Terhune gallery through the stated pick-up date the gallery is not responsible for the loss or damage of artwork. The gallery will handle the works in a professional manner, they will be monitored during gallery hours, and a security system is activated outside gallery hours.
The jury will consist of two Owens Community College Art Department Faculty Members and they will select a Best of Show award and two honorable mentions.
Sale of Artwork
An artist agreement form must be submitted by the artist upon delivery of work or included with shipped entry. The artist must state in the inventory sheet the artwork retail price or not for sale (NFS). Please note that price of an accepted entry may not be changed. Any sales generated from the exhibition will be given 100% to the artist. The gallery will not take any commission from the sale of artwork. The Gallery Director will act as a liaison in handling the purchase of artwork and the artist will be sent a check reflecting the sale of artwork after the close of the exhibition. The Gallery Director will make arrangements with buyer for pick-up or shipping. All sold objects must remain at the ¡Creativo! Exhibition in Heritage Hall Hub for the duration of the exhibit.
- Deadline for Entry: Saturday, August 1
- Notification of Accepted Artwork: Friday, August 7
- Delivery/Shipping Artwork: August 10 – September 7
- Installation Dates: September 7 – September 14
- Exhibition Dates: September 15 – October 15
- Opening Reception: Thursday, September 17 from 6-8 p.m.
- Artwork Pick-Up: October 21 – 25 unless other arrangements are made.
For questions about the exhibition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Having the following information and images ready before completing the application will make the process faster and more efficient.
- Name, address, email, phone number
- Artist biography, artist statement
- Artwork title, media, materials, dimensions
- Retail price or Not For Sale (NFS) for artwork
- Images of artwork
- Complete the entry form. The contact information must be 100% accurate and used regularly. The email address and phone number provided is how we will contact you regarding your submission. If any of the fields are not applicable then state N/A.
- Upload images of artwork.
- Image files should be in HIGH QUALITY JPEG format, images should be no smaller than 1000 pixels in any direction (about 13″) and be exactly 72 The average file size should range from 700kb to 2mb but this is only approximate.
- Hi-Res, print-quality images will be requested for accepted works for promotional use.
- A minimum of 5 images and a maximum of 10 images can be submitted. If you are submitting a video, motion, or interactive work please upload this file below.
- All entry files (regardless of type or media) must be named with artist’s last name (underscore) first name (underscore) and entry number (for example: jpg). Please DO NOT include any other information in the file name, such as title of work or a short description. Detail, installation, or alternate view images must include the word ‘detail’ in the filename (for example: Smith_Joan_1_detail1.jpg).
PLEASE NOTE: entries without properly labeled image or media will be disqualified.