High School Juried Art Show
Jump to details:
Forms for each artwork category:
Owens Community College’s Center for Fine and Performing Arts Department invite local High School Student Artists to enter their work in our High School Juried Art Show titled “Passages.” The exhibition will take place in the Rotunda of the Center for Fine and Performing Arts Building on the Owens Community College Campus.
This is an opportunity for High School Student Artists in the community to participate in a juried art exhibit and to win Owens Community College Merit Scholarships.
“Passages” is open to high school students working in Fine Art, Photography, Commercial Art, Video and Animation. The Visual Arts faculty of Owens Community College will jury the exhibit and prizes will be awarded at the opening reception.
February 3 – March 31, 2023
Opening reception: Friday, February 3 from 6-8 p.m.
About the Center for Fine and Performing Arts
The Center for Fine and Performing Arts opened in August 2003 at a cost of approximately $11 million as the final piece of the Galleria Complex. The five connected buildings began with the Library, and also include the Audio-Visual Classroom Center, Math-Science Center and Student Health and Activities Center, and concluded with the Center for Fine and Performing Arts.
The architecture of the 74,000-square-foot Center for Fine and Performing Arts complements its artistic academic programming. The building is sculptural in shape, with geometrical curves and cylindrical elements. The main entrance opens into the Rotunda, which features a glassed, two-story circular staircase. The awe-inspiring “Owens Rings” is a suspended glass sculpture in the Rotunda, created by world-renowned artist Ray King of Philadelphia. The art features a series of six, tapered metal rings, which capture the abundant sunlight entering the Rotunda.
The performing and visual arts classrooms, practice rooms and studios offer students a creative environment to pursue their chosen field.
Eligibility and Requirements
- The art show is open to high school juniors and seniors.
- High School students must be from the Lucas, Wood, Henry, and Hancock Counties. Local Michigan high schools across the state line are eligible as well.
- Students must be nominated by their high school art teacher from the approved discipline.
- Each nominated student can submit up to 2 individual art pieces. If you are submitting 3D works or installations, please offer multiple views and details within a 4-image limit.
- Artwork Submission Forms Open: Thursday, December 1, 2022
- Artwork Submissions Due: Saturday, December 31, 2022
For artwork to be eligible, it must fit under the following categories:
- Fine Art – Works can include pencil drawings, paintings, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, metal work, jewelry, etc.
- Photography – Works can include digital photography, darkroom prints, film photography, etc.
- Commercial Art – Works with a practical, commercial application, including, but not limited to: logos, icons, characters, mascots, music, book, magazine, or movie covers, letterhead, advertising campaigns, etc.
- Video/Animation – Works with motion graphics, animation, TV commercial spots, artistic video editing, music videos, visual effects (VFX), news segments, instructional videos, short film, cinematography. Maximum video length is 5 minutes.
Accepted artwork must apply to the following:
- Accepted artwork should be ready to install with complete instructions for installation (if necessary). Works with unusual or complex installation may require artist assistance during installation.
- Accepted artwork must remain in the exhibit for the duration of the show.
- Drop off and pick-up for artwork will be at Owens Center for Fine and Performing Arts at the Walter E. Terhune Art Gallery. If a parent or relative will be dropping off or picking up the artwork we must have the artist’s written permission.
Artwork Entry Process
Having the following information and images ready before completing the application will make the process faster and more efficient.
- Name, address, email, phone number
- Artwork title, media, materials, dimensions
- Images of artwork
Submitting Artwork Digitally
Artwork can be submitted digitally through the appropriate Artwork Submission Form.
- Complete the form. The contact information must be 100% accurate and used regularly. The email address and phone number provided is how we will contact you regarding your submission. If any of the fields are not applicable then state N/A. Once a form has been filled, out a confirmation receipt email will be sent to the teacher’s email address NOT the participating student’s email address.
- Upload images of artwork.
- Image files should be in HIGH-QUALITY JPEG, PNG, or PDF format (check respective art category for specific formats), images should be no smaller than 1000 pixels in any direction (about 13”) and be exactly 72 dpi. The average file size should range from 700kb to 2mb but this is only approximate.
- Video/animation can be submitted digitally by either uploading an MP4 file, or providing a link to the video if it is already available on a streaming site such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- These Hi-Res, print-quality images for accepted works will be utilized for promotional use.
- A minimum of 2 images and a maximum of 4 images can be submitted.
- All entry files (regardless of type or media) must be named with the artist’s last name (underscore) first name (underscore) and entry number (for example: Smith_Joan_1.jpg). Please DO NOT include any other information in the file name, such as title of work or a short description.
- 3D works or installations must include detail or alternate view images. Each of these files must include the word ‘detail’ in the filename (for example: Smith_Joan_detail1.jpg).
Example Source: Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) Career Resources: How to Photograph 3D Art w/ Dan Meyers – https://youtu.be/6G6FHgWLlkI
- Review form and click submit.
*PLEASE NOTE: entries without properly labeled image or media will be disqualified.
Submitting Artwork In-Person
If for any reason instructors or students are not able to submit artwork digitally for adjudication, we will allow the artwork to be dropped off at the gallery to be juried in person. Please contact email@example.com to schedule an appointment. Artwork must be delivered for adjudication before Friday, December 16, 2022.
The Visual Arts Faculty at Owens Community College in the Fine and Performing Arts Department will be jurying the artwork. They will select a first, second, and third-place award for each category (Fine Art, Photography, Commercial Art, and Video / Animation).
Owens Community College Merit Award
The Owens Community College “Passages” Merit Award will be presented to an overall first, second, and third-place winner. Each will be given a merit award which can be used toward tuition at Owens Community College.
Release of Liability
From the time the works are received by the Owens Community College, Center for Fine and Performing Arts through the stated pick-up date the college is not responsible for the loss or damage of artwork. The Walter E. Terhune Art Gallery Curator will handle the works in a professional manner and they will be monitored during gallery hours. Students with accepted artwork will be sent the Owens Community College Artist Agreement form which must be filled out before dropping off artwork. More details about the Release of Liability are located there.
Students Enter Artwork
- Digital Artwork Submission Deadline: Saturday, December 31, 2022
Announcement of Accepted Artwork
- Art Teachers/Students will be contacted: Monday, January 9, 2023
Accepted Student Artwork Drop Off Dates
- Sunday, January 15 – 12-2 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 17 – 4-7 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 18 – 2-5 p.m.
- Thursday, January 19 – 4-7 p.m.
Installation of High School Juried Art Show “Passages”
- January 20 – February 2
Art Show Opens/Display Dates
- Opening Reception: Friday, February 3 – 6-8 p.m.
- Awards Ceremony – 6:30 p.m.
- Display Dates: February 3 – March 31
- Sunday, April 2
- Monday, April 3
For questions about the exhibition, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org