Co-op and Internship Program
The Cooperative Education (Co-op) and Internship Program at Owens Community College is a partnership between the college, employers and students that formally integrates academic work with experience in the business world.
For the next few years these programs will be supported by the Ohio Means Internships and Co-ops (OMIC) Grant. The grant targets certain key Ohio industry sectors and business functions. The grant allows businesses in key Ohio industries to hire students as interns or co-ops at a significantly reduced cost, by reimbursing up to 50% of student wages. The interns will come from programs within the School of Business and the School of STEM that are aligned with these industry sectors and business functions.
While we will assist you to find student interns for your business, only certain industries benefit from the OMIC grant. To learn if your business qualifies please click here.
Benefits to Employers
A Co-op/Internship partnership gives you:
- The opportunity to benefit from temporary employees who may prove to be your future employees.
- Exposure to new ideas and creativity
- The chance to train students in your business's systems and methods.
- Participation in the educational process and curriculum development.
- Higher visibility on the Owens campus.
- Reimbursement of student wages up to 50% of the cost.
- View the OMIC Brochure for Employers
The OMIC Grant Program will:
- Connect business and higher education for the purpose of closing the skills gap, increasing student completion, and providing a pipeline of qualified employees
- Give students the opportunity to assess career opportunities in key Ohio industries.
- Develop students' ability to integrate the academic knowledge in their major field of study with the experience gained from the co-op/internship employment.
- Expose students to the work environment and business ethics.
Employers offering internships and co-ops for undergraduate students in Ohio.
Employers whose business is aligned with industries targeted by JobsOhio Industry areas as listed below:
- Aerospace & Aviation
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Consumer Products
- Financial Services
- Information Technologies and Services
- Headquarters and Consulting
- Back Office
- Research and Development
Internship and Co-op Program Business Partners
Business partners for the OMIC Co-op and Internship Program include:
- Carlisle Fluid Technologies
- Dynamic Dies Inc.
- First Solar
- Fulton County Economic Development Corporation
- General Motors
- Hickory Farms, LLC
- Jim White Dealership
- John Deere
- Johnston Team
- Liberty Tax Service
- Marathon Petroleum Company
- Northwestern Mutual
- Pride Gage