New Student Orientation
As a new degree or certificate-seeking Owens student, you are required to complete New Student Orientation (NSO). Guest or transient students are not required to complete New Student Orientation.
New Student Orientation is an opportunity for you to learn about the tools, resources, and offices that will offer you support and help you make the most out of your educational journey at Owens. You will also learn how to register for classes each semester, how to navigate Blackboard and your Ozone student account, and what your payment options are, especially if you wish to utilize financial aid and scholarships.
New Student Orientation is offered both online and on-campus. After a successful application to the college, students will have access to the online option by activating their Ozone student account and logging into Blackboard. See the bottom of this page for instructions on how to activate Ozone for the first time and log into your Blackboard account.
On-campus New Student Orientation sessions are offered prior to the beginning of each semester. An on-campus orientation session will give students the opportunity to complete multiple, necessary enrollment steps all on the same day. On-campus NSO sessions include placement testing, academic advising, financial aid/payment information, a tour, and assistance with building a class schedule and registration. On-campus NSO sessions last approximately 4 hours.
If you have a disability and need accommodations or adaptions during an on-campus NSO session, please contact the Disability Resource Center at (567) 661-7007 to make arrangements prior to signing up for orientation.
Please note: after you register for course, the NSO fee will be assessed to your student account. For more information on tuition and fees, click here.
On-campus NSO LocationsPlease check in at your respective location on the day you scheduled an on-campus NSO session:
- Toledo Campus – Admissions Center in College Hall (#5 on campus map)
- Findlay Campus – Information Desk in the Education Center Building (#1 on campus map)
- Learning Center Downtown Toledo – front count in the Owens lobby (Google Map of Location)
Complete orientation online
Instructions on activating Ozone for the first time and logging into Blackboard.
- Go to Ozone
- Log in for the first time using the information and diagram below:
Your initial username is your full first name, underscore, full last name. For example: jonathon_doe. Some usernames will have a number following the last name due to multiple students having the same name (example: jonathon_doe2).
Your initial password is your two-digit birth day, two- digit birth year, and 4th and 5th digits of your social security number. For example, if John Doe’s birthday is January 11, 1999 and his social security number is 999-33-2222, his initial password is 119933.
You will need to change your password and answer six security questions when you log in for the first time.
Logging into your Blackboard account and accessing online New Student Orientation
- Log into your Ozone account.
- Once in Ozone, click on the Blackboard Icon. This should open Blackboard. You may be asked to log in again. You will be using the same username and password that you created for Ozone to log into Blackboard.
- Find the “My Courses” box on the right-hand side of the page
- Click on “New Student Orientation: 2019-20 Academic Year”
- Read the Announcements for instructions and an overview of navigating the NSO shell
- Follow the prompts for New Student Orientation.
Go here for Online New Student Orientation after logging into your Ozone/Blackboard Account.