Earn College Credit from Home with Owens Telecourses and Web-based Courses
Higher education and cyberspace are coming together this fall at Owens Community College with Telecourses and Web-based courses that let students take classes via the Internet - or watch classes on videotape.
"These high-tech ways of learning allow people the opportunity to benefit from a college education - even if they have a busy schedule and aren't sure how often they can come to campus," said Dr. Paul V. Unger, Owens Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Web-based courses are available to anyone with a computer and an Internet connection. Students in these classes communicate with teachers and other students through e-mail and an electronic bulletin board.
This fall, five Web-based courses are available at Owens:
"Telecourses and Web-based courses are great for anyone who needs to stay at home with a family or business," Dr. Unger explained. "Seniors and disabled students also tell us they appreciate the convenience of taking classes in their own homes."
- CIS 124: Introduction to the Internet
- CIS 131: Microcomputer Concepts & Applications
- CIS 235: Electronic Spreadsheet Business Analysis
- CIS 290: Introduction to Windows
- OAD 100: Beginning Keyboarding
Both types of courses offer students the same college credit they would earn by taking a class on campus. Students in Telecourses can stay in touch with their professors by phone, e-mail, fax or scheduled meetings to ask questions and discuss course material.
This fall, more than 30 telecourses will be offered by Owens, including:
Fall classes at Owens begin the week of August 23. To register for a Telecourse or Web-based Course, or for more information, call 1-800-GO-OWENS, Ext. 7777 or (567) 429-3500.
- ACC 101-125: Accounting I
- ART 105-125: History of Western Art
- BUS 101-125: Contemporary Business
- CIS 131-125: Computing Technology
- ECE 101-125: Child Development
- ENG 111-125: Composition I
- ENG 112-125: Composition II
- ENG 200-125: Intro to Literature
- HSC 290-125: Personal Wellness
- HIS 201-125: American History
- HIS 205-125: The Civil War
- MTH 105-125: Basic Algebra
- MTH 211-125: Applied Statistics
- MKT 101-125: Marketing
- PSY 101-125: General Psychology
- PSY 260-125: Life Span Psychology
- SOC 101-125: Sociology
- SPA 111-125: Spanish I
- SPA 112-125: Spanish II
- SPE 101-125: Speech
Owens Home Page
Last modified on: Wednesday, August 04, 1999
Owens Community College Web site maintained by: Rodney Hough.
For comments, email: email@example.com