||Brad Meyer, Director of Public and Media Relations
Office: (567) 661-7421 Cell: (419) 351-5253
Owens Community College Express Honors Baseball and Softball Programs
Owens Community College women's softball student-athlete April Nietrzeba of Maumee has been named NJCAA Second Team All-American. The award was announced in conjunction with the College honoring its women's softball and men's baseball programs for displaying excellence during intercollegiate competition.
Nietrzeba, a sophomore pitcher/infielder from Maumee High School, set Owens softball records for earned run average (0.84) and strikeouts (196) in a season. In addition, she led the team in wins (25) and innings pitched (174).
Her honors included Ohio Community College Athletic Conference (OCCAC) Player of the Year and selection to the OCCAC All-Conference, NJCAA All-Region XII and NJCAA All-Region XII Tournament teams. Additionally, Nietrzeba was named Owens' Most Improved Player and the NJCAA All-Region XII Tournament Most Valuable Player.
The Express women's softball program finished with a 44-12 overall record and captured the OCCAC regular season championship with an 18-0 mark. Led by Head Coach Duane Lanham, Owens' program made its first trip to the NJCAA Division II National Championships, finishing fifth in the tournament. Lanham's squad was ranked as high as No. 8 in the NJCAA Division II women's softball poll. Additionally, the 44 victories is a school record for most wins in a season, surpassing the previous mark of 41 in 2003.
The men's baseball program, led Head Coach Bob Schultz, finished the 2005 campaign with a 31-23 overall record and tied Columbus State Community College for the OCCAC regular season title with a 12-8 mark. Schultz's squad advanced to the semifinals of the NJCAA Region XII Championships before losing to Glen Oaks Community College.
Women's Softball awards presented were:
Members of the Express women's softball program also included Jenae Caldwell of Millbury (Lake H.S.), Leigh Zajac of Rossford (Rossford H.S.), Ashley Correll of Fostoria (Fostoria H.S.), Jenny Shultz of Grand Rapids (Otsego H.S.), Cortney Simmons of Rossford (Rossford H.S.), Kari Bockbrader of Toledo (Whitmer H.S.), Monica Brinkman of Oregon (Notre Dame Academy), Allicia Lawrence of Fostoria (St. Wendelin H.S.), Katie Henry of Erie, Mich. (Mason H.S.), Crissy Kohler of Oregon (Clay H.S.), Valerie Jesse of Lambertville, Mich. (Bedford H.S.) and Victoria Kolb of Toledo (Central Catholic H.S.).
- Most Valuable Player - Tracy Lehman of Whitehouse (Anthony Wayne H.S.)
- Most Improved Player - April Nietrzeba
- Offensive Player of the Year - Kelli Short of Toledo (Rogers H.S.)
- Defensive Player of the Year - Lindsay Guinn of Erie, Mich. (Mason H.S.)
- Coaches Award - Mandy Wingate of Lambertville, Mich. (Bedford H.S.)
- Heart of a Champion Award - Mackenzie Heban of Grand Rapids (Notre Dame Academy)
- OCCAC Player of the Year - April Nietrzeba
- OCCAC Coach of the Year - Duane Lanham
- OCCAC All-Conference Team - April Nietrzeba, Tracy Lehman, Mackenzie Heban, Sarah Morgart of Wayne (Elmwood H.S.) and Kylie Zweifel of Sylvania (Southview H.S.)
- NJCAA All-Region XII Team - April Nietrzeba and Tracy Lehman
- NJCAA Region XII All-Tournament Most Valuable Player - April Nietrzeba
- NJCAA Region XII All-Tournament Team - April Nietrzeba, Sarah Morgart, Tracy Lehman and Kelli Short
- NJCAA Division II All-American Team - April Nietrzeba
- NJCAA Division II National Championship All-Tournament Team - Tracy Lehman
Men's Baseball awards presented were:
Owens Express men's baseball team members also were Derek Kozlowski of Toledo (Whitmer H.S.), Chad McCullough of Sandusky (Bellevue H.S.), Alex Frank of Toledo (Start H.S.), Tom Hunyor of Maumee (Maumee H.S.), Brett Tscherne of Oregon (Clay H.S.), Ross Graham of Oregon (Clay H.S.), Peter Seitz of Naples, Fla. (Naples H.S.), Noel Graham of Oregon (Clay H.S.), Drew Linder of Bellevue (Bellevue H.S.), Adam Blachuta of Wayne (Elmwood H.S.), Evan Calvin of Perrysburg (Perrysburg H.S.), Austin Taylor of Toledo (St. Francis de Sales H.S.), Thomas Arvay of Toledo (Start H.S.), Nicholas Janowicz of Lambertville, Mich. (Bedford H.S.) and Cody Myers of Fremont (Fremont Ross H.S.).
- Most Valuable Player - Jeff Telmanik of Maumee (Anthony Wayne H.S.)
- Most Improved Player - Tony Finley of Mansfield (Ontario H.S.)
- Defensive Leader - Mike Shaneck of Northwood (Northwood H.S.)
- Coaches Award - Jeff Hartwig of Toledo (Bowsher H.S.)
- OCCAC Player of the Year - Mike Ramlow of Maumee (Maumee H.S.)
- OCCAC All-Conference Team - Mike Shaneck, Jeff Hartwig, Jeff Telmanik, Mike Ramlow and David Quiroga of Toledo (Waite H.S.)
- NJCAA All-Region XII Team - Jeff Telmanik
- NJCAA Region XII All-Tournament Team - Jeff Telmanik
Owens Community College is one of the fastest-growing higher educational institutions in Ohio. On the Toledo-area and Findlay-area campuses, Owens serves more than 45,000 credit and non-credit students, making it the number one choice for new college students. Owens is committed to providing small classes, personal attention and unmatched affordability. Owens Community College offers over 130 program areas in Agriculture, Business, Fine and Performing Arts, Health, Public Service, Skilled Trades, and Industrial and Engineering Technologies. Owens students also can earn the first two years of a bachelor's degree with a smooth transfer to any area four-year college or university.