||Brad Meyer, Director of Public and Media Relations
Office: (567) 661-7421 Cell: (419) 351-5253
Owens Community College Signs Baseball Student-Athletes to Scholarships
Owens Community College has signed 17 first-year student-athletes to baseball scholarships for the upcoming NJCAA intercollegiate season.
Led by head coach Bob Schultz, the baseball program is beginning its fifth year at the Division II level. Participating in intercollegiate athletics at the Division II level allows the College to offer scholarships to pay for tuition, fees and books for its student-athletes.
The men’s baseball program finished the 2005 campaign with a 31-23 overall record and tied Columbus State Community College for the OCCAC regular season title with a 12-8 mark. Schultz’s squad advanced to the semifinals of the NJCAA Region XII Championships before losing to Glen Oaks Community College.
“The exceptional skills of each first-year student-athlete will complement a very experienced group of players returning from last year’s successful ballclub,” said Schultz. “With the addition of the incoming first-year players, I anticipate the baseball program achieving another very positive season.”
First-year student-athletes receiving baseball scholarships include:
Owens Community College is one of the fastest-growing higher educational institutions in Ohio. On the Toledo-area and Findlay-area campuses, Owens serves more than 45,000 credit and non-credit students, making it the number one choice for new college students. Owens is committed to providing small classes, personal attention and unmatched affordability. Owens Community College offers over 130 program areas in Agriculture, Business, Fine and Performing Arts, Health, Public Service, Skilled Trades, and Industrial and Engineering Technologies. Owens students also can earn the first two years of a bachelor’s degree with a smooth transfer to any area four-year college or university.
- Joshua Barton of Toledo is a graduate of Bowsher High School. (Shortstop / Pitcher)
- Andy Bean of Hebron is a graduate of Lakewood High School. (Third Base)
- Brandon Best of Sylvania is a graduate of Sylvania Southview High School. (Pitcher and Outfield)
- Wesley Blank of Millbury is a graduate of Lake High School. (Pitcher / Outfield)
- Scott Conley of Millbury is a graduate of Lake High School. (Pitcher)
- Bryan Converse of Whitelake, Mich., is a graduate of Franklin Road High School. (Third Base / Catcher)
- Chris Feix of Mansfield is a graduate of Ontario High School. (Outfield)
- Dylan Hefflinger of Defiance is a graduate of Defiance High School. (Second Base / Shortstop)
- John Hooks Jr. of Lorain is a graduate of Lorain Southview High School. (Pitcher)
- Jimmy Johnson of Toledo is a graduate of Whitmer High School. (Pitcher)
- Joshua Pheils of Rossford is a graduate of Rossford High School. (Pitcher)
- Anthony Ramos of Lorain is a graduate of Lorain Admiral King High School. (Second Base / Shortstop)
- Jordan Schultz of Defiance is a graduate of Defiance High School. (Catcher)
- Marshall Severh of of Walbridge is a graduate of Eastwood High School. (Catcher / First Base)
- Jeremy Sheeks of Bowling Green is a graduate of Otsego High School. (Pitcher)
- Micah Smith Jr. of Lorain is a graduate of Lorain Southview High School. (Outfield / Pitcher)
- Will Swary of Defiance is a graduate of Defiance High School. (First Base)