President's Blog

Welcome Back to Owens! Copy link to clipboard

Posted on August 10th, 2021

Summer is winding down and we are busily transitioning to an exciting Fall Semester here at Owens. I want to welcome each and every one of you to what I’m sure will be an extraordinary year at both our campuses. It will mark my first full academic term at Owens, and I am truly excited about what the year holds.

I especially want to recognize the newest members of our community. Whether you are a new student or employee, we are so glad you are here! I know you will quickly feel as welcome as I have during your first few weeks at the College.

As we look with anticipation to the new semester, I’ve been hearing from many of you about the things you are most looking forward to, especially the ability to reconnect at upcoming events. It is clear you have great pride in what we offer at Owens and are eager to share these traditions and programs with others.

It was refreshing, for example, to be able to host an event for our first Artist in Residence, Beth Genson, whose beautiful work, “The Heavens and Earth,” is showing in the Terhune Art Gallery. I know how proud our Department of Fine and Performing Arts is to have such an accomplished artist interact with students this year.

In other areas of our campus, new academic programs are renewing passion and enthusiasm for what an education at Owens really means for our students. Did you know that Owens now offers a new Craft Beverage Certificate? This unique program delivers necessary training for those interested in a career in the brewing and wine industry, with hands-on learning into the step-by-step process. Of course, you must be over 21 to enroll.

In addition, we are focused on improving the student experience through interdisciplinary collaboration. In the School of Nursing and Health Professions, our allied programs produce graduates who are trained to maneuver nimbly across disciplines, from surgical technology to radiology to medical assisting. Through training in quality, patient-centered care as a team, our students are acquiring needed skills for high-demand and high-paying jobs in the region.

Owens offers more than 70 majors and certificate programs and no matter which program you choose to pursue, you will find dedicated faculty and staff who bring to the classroom their industry knowledge, passion for education and commitment to excellence. We are here to support you on your way to a successful career from the moment you graduate. All of us are rooting for you! As always, I’m eager to receive your ongoing feedback and hope you will participate in our fall listening sessions. I cannot wait for this new semester to begin!

Dione D. Somerville, Ed.D.

Dione D. Somerville, Ed.D.
President