Student in the Library, Graduating Students, Students in the Classroom

Records Office

Enrollment and Deferment Verification

Owens Community College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to act as our agent for verifications of student enrollment. Students may obtain a free printable verification of enrollment through Ozone.

Instruction for Student Enrollment Verification

  1. Log-in to Ozone.
  2. Click on Admin. Services.
  3. Click the Student Services and Financial Aid tab.
  4. Click on National Student Clearinghouse Enrollment Verification link.
  5. Select the radio button for Current enrollment or All enrollment
  6. Click the Obtain an enrollment certificate link.
  7. The certificate will come up in Acrobat reader ready to print.
  8. Log-out

The Clearinghouse makes it possible for students and companies needing current enrollment verifications to obtain instantaneous certifications of student enrollment on their website. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Companies and students requesting enrollment verifications should contact the Clearinghouse:

For further information about Owens Community College's policies regarding student's records and verifications, contact the Records Office.

What happens when the Clearinghouse is Unable to Fulfill Requests?

Situations exist in which the Clearinghouse will not be able to verify student enrollments. Some of the reasons for this may include:

  • The Clearinghouse is unable to identify the requested record.
  • The student has elected to block release of "directory information" under FERPA.
  • The company requests information that Owens Community has not designated as "directory information" under FERPA.
  • The company requests verification of information that educational institutions do not provide to the Clearinghouse.
  • The subject in question is not a currently enrolled student.

National Student Clearinghouse
13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171
Phone: (703) 742-7791
Fax: (703) 742-7792

How Deferment Forms Are Processed

Owens Community College participates in the National Student Loan Clearinghouse located in Herndon, Virginia. The College electronically submits student enrollment status information throughout each term to the Clearinghouse, which in turn supplies verification of enrollment to lending agencies.

A number of lenders and loan servicing organizations that are members of the Clearinghouse participate in a Paperless Deferment Process. With this process, no paper forms need to be completed by either students or schools—the student simply calls his or her lender to request a deferment. The lender then matches this request against the Clearinghouse electronic data and verifies the in-school status of the student.

If a lender does not participate in the Paperless Deferment Process and needs a paper deferment form completed, the form should be submitted to Oserve. Paper deferment forms turned in to Oserve are forwarded to the Clearinghouse, which completes the forms and returns them to the lender. Owens Community College does not supply this information directly to lending agencies. If a student has registered late for courses or has had an exception processed to the term registration, this information may not be reported until the submission of the next enrollment file to the Clearinghouse. The College submits an enrollment file once each month.

If You Are Having Trouble With A Lender

If you receive a collection letter from a lender, or receive multiple deferment forms from a lender during a term in which you believe you should be in a deferred status, do the following:

  1. Call the lending agency to see if a deferment form has been received from the Clearinghouse since the lender’s last communication with you. If you are unsure which agency services your student loans:
    • Login to Ozone and click Admin. Services.
    • Select the National Student Clearinghouse Enrollment Verification link from the Student Services & Financial Aid tab.
    • Click the link associated with the Loan Locator information.
  2. If the lender indicates that the deferment has still not been processed. Visit the My Student Center web page at the Clearinghouse website where you can submit a request to get more information and assistance from the Clearinghouse. If an emergency exists -- for example, you are 150 days delinquent and being threatened with default -- the Clearinghouse will intervene on your behalf by faxing another enrollment certification to the lender. Further, it will work with the lender to ensure that the form is processed on a high-priority basis.
  3. If for any reason the Clearinghouse cannot resolve a problem with a lender, refer the matter to

Visit Campus pictureOnline Classes picture