Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
What are Educational Records under FERPA?
What is not included in an "Educational Record?
- Records directly related to a student.
- Records containing information from which an individual student (or students) can be personally identified.
- Records (in writing, print, tape, film, computer or other medium) that are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.
- Sole Possession Notes": these are notes (memory joggers-not grades or GPA related) created and maintained by instructors and staff, meant for their personal use. So long as no one else sees these notes they remain private and are not subject to FERPA.
- Law enforcement unit records.
- Employment records
- Exception: records of individuals who are employed as
a result of their status as students are education records.
- Health Records
[ page 2 of 10 ]