Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
What is "Directory Information?
What does OCC consider "Directory Information" that can be released without the written consent of the student?
- FERPA identifies a category of non-academic information as "directory information" i.e. what institutions may release without student permission. However, FERPA also gives students the ability to restrict this information from the general public.
- "Directory information" is the only information that Owens Community College will release to a third party without written consent from the student, except in certain conditions as specified by law.
- Telephone Number
- Date of birth
- Major field of study
- Participation in officially recognized sport and activities
- Date of attendance
- Degrees and awards received
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- High school and hometown of members of athletic teams and specially recognized students
[ page 3 of 10 ]