What Do We Do?
- Combines community service with classroom instruction, focusing on critical, reflective thinking as well as personal and civic responsibility.
- Involves students in activities that address local needs while developing their academic skills and commitment to their community.
- Positively impacts student learning outcomes, civic engagement and retention.
Source: (American Association of Community Colleges)
- To increase academic retention through involvement with community service.
- To encourage student citizenship on campus and off campus.
- To develop student leaders who can support, mentor and model success for first year Owens students.
- To develop sustainable and mutually beneficial community partnerships with local agencies.
- To support scholarship and increase opportunities for professional recognition and reward for students and faculty.
- To extend campus resources into the community and reinforce the value of engagement.
"Through service learning, I found out how to be a good citizen and how to build a strong community."
"In my service learning class, I was exposed to people and places that taught me about the real world. In the classroom I wouldn't have had that experience."
"This experience taught me that I have something to offer. I may not have money to give. But I have time and volunteering helps me learn."
"I learned I'm a good person."
"It was hard but I'm so grateful that service was part of my learning experience."