Smoke-free and Tobacco-free Resolution
Owens Community College is supporting the smoke-free and tobacco-free resolution set by the Ohio Board of Regents, now the Department of Higher Education, on July 23, 2013, and implementing a smoke-free and tobacco-free campus policy to protect the health of students, faculty, staff and visitors.
The Owens Board of Trustees adopted the policy outlining this change at its December 2, 2014 meeting.
Owens became a smoke-free and tobacco-free campus effective January 1, 2016. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is prohibited in any College building, College vehicle or bus or on College grounds or property owned or controlled by the College.
Smoking is defined as:
- the act of emitting smoke or vapor; to inhaleor exhale smoke/vapor; to burn or to carry any product or device for burning tobacco or any other plant.
Tobacco product is defined as:
- any product made from, containing, or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, partor accessory of a tobacco product.
Second-hand smoke/vapor is defined as:
- Thesmoke/vapor exhaled from the lungs or the mixture of the smoke or vapor from the lit end of a smoking product.
Examples of smoking products or use of tobacco products include, but are not limited to:
- cigarettes (clove, bidis, kreteks)
- electronic cigarettes
- hookah-smoked products
- oral tobacco (spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff) and
- nasal tobacco (snus)
Cessation resources are available here.
If you have any questions, please contact Danielle Filipchuk, Director, Student Conduct and Student Life, at (567) 661-7970.