Fall 2021 Hours
Through November 30
Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
December 2021 & January 2022 Hours
Beginning December 1
Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. The SHAC will not be open for use on Saturday, December 4, 2021.
The Toledo-area Campus SHAC is open to only students, faculty and staff. There will be limited hours, days and equipment available.
If you plan to visit the SHAC, please be aware of these COVID-19-related safety measures below as we work to ensure a safe and healthy visit for all.
Note that the new Owens Express ID is required for entry.
The Alumni Hall Exercise Facility is closed for student, staff and faculty use.
SHAC Safety Measures
- The new Owens Express ID is required for entry. See the Express card page for details. No one without the new ID will be allowed access to the SHAC. If you have questions regarding how to get the new Owens ID, contact the Department of Public Safety.
- Areas open at this time are the cardio, weight machines, free weight rooms and the track. The basketball courts and other gym facilities will continue to be closed.
- The locker rooms will remain closed. Please take steps to limit what you bring in to the SHAC, as cubicles in the cardio space will be the only option to store items . You will be responsible for watching any items placed in the cubicles.
- No towels will be provided.
- Any items left in the SHAC will be turned in to the Department of Public Safety for pick up.
- If there is a need to close the SHAC on one of the scheduled open days, this webpage will be updated as well as signage at the point of entry to the SHAC.
The Findlay-area Campus fitness center will remain closed at this time since there is no staffing that would allow us to ensure safe usage and regular cleaning.
These conditions are subject to change based on the status of COVID-19 and on recommendations and guidance from the health department and state of Ohio.
The health and safety of our campus community remains at the forefront as decisions are made. For additional information please contact Amy Giordano at email@example.com.
New Owens Express Card is Required
Please note that all students, faculty and staff will need to have the new Owens Express card in order to gain access to the SHAC. Old Owens Express ID cards will not allow a faculty, staff or student to enter and utilize these facilities.
If you are obtaining this new Owens Express Card, there will not be a charge. If you are issued the new Owens Express card, and should need a replacement, there will be a charge.
Please visit www.owens.edu/expresscard/ for details on hours and locations to obtain your new Owens Express Card. The new Owens Express card began being issued for staff, faculty and students in August 2020, so anyone who has the new card at this time, does not need a replacement in order to access the SHAC. If you are unsure if you have the ‘new’ or ‘old’ Owens Express Card please contact the DPS Customer Service area for support.
About the SHAC
Students, staff and faculty are all welcome to utilize the state-of-the-art Student Health and Activities Center (SHAC). The SHAC features:
- aerobic studios
- weightlifting areas
- student gym and indoor running/walking track
- three multipurpose basketball courts
- performance court for Express basketball and volleyball games
With advanced equipment and various aerobic classes such as pilates, kickboxing and step, you’re bound to release a few endorphins to keep your mind and body in top shape.
- The fitness area offers the latest in cardiovascular and machine strength equipment.
- The free weight room allows for some serious iron-pumping sessions.
- The aerobics studio features a cushioned wood floor, sound system, hand weights and more for HPE classes.
- The Owens Student Media Center – OutComm, resides in SHAC 156, housing the Owens Outlook digital newspaper, the OutReach social media staff, and the OutCast – OCCR, Owens Community College Radio staff and studios.