The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a rigorous College Board program that allows students of a wide range of ages to demonstrate their mastery of college-level material in introductory subjects and earn college credit. CLEP offers examinations that represent courses typical of the first two years of college study. Through CLEP examinations, students can:
- accumulate credit toward a degree by demonstrating knowledge they have gained independently, allowing them to begin studies at a higher level and save valuable time and money;
- demonstrate their knowledge in subject areas in order to earn exemption from introductory courses, enabling them to move ahead to more advanced courses and new fields; and
- show their level of competency in subjects in order to determine placement, particularly for world language and mathematics courses.
CLEP has 33 examinations available. CLEP provides a reliable and effective means for participating colleges and universities to grant credit, exemption, and placement. Over 2,900 accredited institutions of higher education award credit for satisfactory scores on CLEP examinations.
Available CLEP tests
To find a list of available exams visit https://clep.collegeboard.org/
- The fee for all CLEP exams is $87.00. (Paid to CLEP/College Board during registration)
- There is also a separate $25.00 non-refundable administration fee payable via credit card prior to testing.
The $25.00 non-refundable administration fee is waived for veterans, their spouses and dependents of veterans.
How to Purchase
All test takers must register with CLEP and prepay their exam fees through the online self-serve registration system at the following link: https://clepportal.collegeboard.org/myaccount. Any questions regarding My Account or the CLEP Exam Registration Ticket can be referred to CLEP Services at (800) 257-9558, (609) 771-7865, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Create an account
- Register for the CLEP test of your choice.
- During the exam registration process, you may indicate Owens Community College as your preferred test center. Selecting a preferred test center does not reserve a space or guarantee an appointment at the test center. Candidates must contact Testing Services at (567) 661-8378 (TEST) to schedule an appointment to test. Once registration is complete, print registration ticket and bring to the testing center on the day of the test. A CLEP registration is valid for six months; the expiration date will be printed on the ticket.
How to Schedule
Call Owens Testing Services at (567) 661-8378 (TEST) to schedule an appointment. CLEP testing can be scheduled at the Findlay-area Campus Testing Center on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays or on Fridays at the Toledo-area Campus Testing Center.
The Day of Testing
- Bring a valid picture ID
- Credit or debit card for payment of the $25.00 administration fee.
- CLEP Ticket ID
- Online calculators are provided for these exams. Candidates CANNOT use their own calculators.
- The Testing Center provides scratch paper
CLEP Study Materials
Make use of various test materials and resources to get ready for whichever CLEP exam you choose. The CLEP website has free downloadable fact sheets for each of the 33 exams that include exam descriptions, a breakdown of exam content, and 5–10 sample questions per exam. More in-depth materials, which include CLEP Exam Guides and The CLEP Official Study Guide, are available for purchase. Prepare today. clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/practice
Modern States Education Alliance, a nonprofit organization dedicated to making college affordable and attainable, offers free online courses in all CLEP subjects. Taught by college professors, the self-paced courses align to CLEP exams and feature lectures, quizzes, and free textbooks. To sign up for a free CLEP course go to modernstates.org.
Fully Funded (DANTES) Testing
Make the most of your education benefits. Because the exams are funded by the United States government through the Defense Activity for Non Traditional Education Support (DANTES), you could save hundreds or even thousands of dollars towards your degree.
The following groups are funded under contract with DANTES:
- Military personnel (active duty, reserve, National Guard): Army, Navy, Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard, Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Navy Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army, and Air National Guard.
- Spouses of: Coast Guard (active and reserve)
- Civilian employees of: Air Force* Please note: Spouses and civilian employees of Air National Guard can no longer receive DANTES funding effective October 15, 2014.
Review the DANTES Eligibility Chart for information about who can benefit from DANTES funding. CLEP exams for civil service employees, inactive guard or reserve personnel, and spouses and dependents not listed on the chart are not funded through DANTES.