Owens Community College utilizes ACCUPLACER for placement testing. ACCUPLACER is a skills assessment in reading, writing, and math. The assessment scores are used to advise and register students in classes suited to their academic achievement and skill level in an effort to help ensure their academic success. Should the ACCUPLACER results indicate that a student needs developmental courses in reading, writing or mathematics, satisfactory completion of developmental coursework is required before a student will be allowed to register for a college-level composition or mathematics course.
Anyone who wants to take the placement test must have completed an application to Owens Community College.
The first attempt of ACCUPLACER completed at the Toledo-area and Findlay-area testing centers is free. To view Testing Services’ Placement Retest Procedure, click here.
For additional information please read Board Policy No.: 3358:11-2-06.
The ACCUPLACER placement test is an untimed, adaptive, computerized test that evaluates students’ skills for appropriate course placement in math, reading, writing, and if necessary, English as a Second Language (ESL). Students will receive their results immediately upon test completion. After testing, students will schedule to attend New Student Orientation (NSO) to get ready for classes.
The ACCUPLACER English as a Second Language (ESL) placement test is an untimed test that helps to assess in-coming ESL students’ English language ability levels and place them into appropriate ESL courses. The ACCUPLACER ESL covers Reading and Writing skills
Testing Services strongly encourages all students to study for ACCUPLACER. You can prepare for ACCUPLACER by taking advantage of the study tools and resources offered on the ACCUPLACER website (links listed below). Use these tools to become familiar with the types and format of ACCUPLACER test questions. They can help you identify the academic areas where you may need a little help, and prepare to improve. There are three sections to the ACCUPLACER mathematics test:
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics
- Advanced Algebra and Functions
All students will begin with the Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics section. Depending on the results from the Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics section, the student may be presented with an additional section of mathematics. Testing Services encourages students to study the Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics section first and then study additional section(s) based on their perceived skill level.
Remote ACCUPLACER Testing
To Take ACCUPLACER with a virtual online proctor for Owens:
Owens Community College allows students to take their ACCUPLACER using the online proctoring service, Examity. If you wish to take your ACCUPLACER test online, please contact Testing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and register to take the exam using Examity. You will be required to provide your name, Owens ID number (OCID), and your Owens student email address.
Please note that starting on 7/01/2022, students will be required to pay a fee to Examity for all remote ACCUPLACER tests.
Technology Requirements for using Examity:
- ACCUPLACER tests can only be administered on a desktop computer or laptop (Chromebook, tablets, and smartphones are not allowed)
- Your device must have a webcam and microphone (built-in or external)
- Connection to network with sufficient internet speed: at least 2 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps upload
- Operating systems: Windows 10, Mac OS X v10.7 (Mountain Lion) or newer
- Browser with pop-up blocker disabled: Google Chrome v47 or later, Mozilla Firefox v41 or later, Internet Explorer v10 or later, Microsoft Edge v12 or later, Apple Safari v6 or later
- Test your computer requirements here
Below are ACCUPLACER’s guidelines for testing:
- When setting up your profile, you must upload a photo ID. During the authentication process, you will be asked to show the same photo ID. Acceptable IDs include:
– Current driver’s license
– State approved ID
– College ID
– Current state or federal ID card
– Current passport
– Tribal ID card
– Naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
- You must have a voucher number provided by ACCUPLACER.
- You must test alone in a quiet room without disruptions.
- Food and drink are not allowed while testing.
- Scratch paper is allowed along with a standard pen/pencil. You will be asked to show both sides of your scratch paper to the proctor at the beginning and end of your test session.
- Calculators are not allowed
- Breaks are not allowed.
To take ACCUPLACER at another college for Owens:
Owens Community College allows students to take ACCUPLACER at a location away from Owens. If you wish to take ACCUPLACER at a location other than Owens Community College, you must:
- Contact Testing Services at (567) 661-TEST (8378), and register to take the exam. You must provide your name, social security number, valid email address, and area where you like to test.
- Contact the location where you wish to take your exam. Specifics should be included in the confirmation email you will receive. Some locations may require an appointment. You should call to confirm the cost of the test, hours of operation, and acceptable payment methods. Most locations will require payment in advance.
- When you arrive to take your exam, you must bring with you a valid photo ID, as well as have your Remote ACCUPLACER Voucher that was included in the email. You will need to adhere to the rules and testing procedures of the testing location.
- At check-in, be sure you notify the office you are taking a Remote ACCUPLACER.
To take ACCUPLACER at Owens for another college:
Testing Services offers proctoring for students who need to take ACCUPLACER for another college. Prior to making your appointment, you must complete these two steps:
- Students must contact the school they will be attending to notify them that will be taking the ACCUPLACER at Owens Community College. This allows the school to make the necessary preparations for the student.
- Students must make their payment of $35 to Owens Community College, prior to their appointments. Payment options are available.
- To pay online select https://www.owens.edu/cgi-bin/TestPayments.pl. Complete all fields and choose “Remote Placement Testing.”
If you prefer to print out the Application for Examination, you may do so from the same webpage and put it and the payment into the drop box in College Hall (Toledo-area Campus) across from the student lounge or outside of Student Services (Findlay-area Campus).
- The drop box accepts both cash and checks. You are responsible for submitting your payment in ample time for it to be processed prior to your preferred testing date.
- Make all checks payable to Owens Community College.
- Checks can be mailed to Owens Community College, ATTN: Student Accounts, PO Box 10,000, Toledo, OH, 43699-1947.
Students must provide a valid, photo ID at check in. Please review Owens Community College’s Testing Rules prior to arriving at the Testing Center. Appointments are required for test proctoring. We will do our best to accommodate your testing date and time preferences.
Transferring Placement Scores
To transfer your ACCUPLACER/Compass scores to Owens Community College:
- Owens Community College accepts ACCUPLACER and Compass scores from other institutions, if the test has been taken within the past 2 years.
- Your scores must be sent to Testing Services via mail or fax, direct from the testing institution.
- You can download a transfer request form here. Send the completed form to the institution that holds your ACCUPLACER/Compass results.
- Be sure to check with the testing institution to be sure they do not require additional paperwork.
To transfer your ACCUPLACER/Compass scores to another college or employer:
If you have completed, or attempted coursework, with Owens Community College, we will send the scores at no charge. A Transfer Score request must be completed.
If you have not attempted, or completed coursework, with Owens Community College, there is a $35 placement score release fee that must be paid prior to scores being sent. This can be done by paying online here. Along with the fee, a Transfer Score request must be completed.
Placement Retest Procedure
Students who wish to retest for placement must follow the retesting procedure outlined below. Testing Services strongly encourages all students planning to retest any part of the ACCUPLACER Placement Test to study.
Students are permitted two placement test attempts within a 365 day time period.
- A $20 retest fee will be charged for any test or portion of test taken for a student’s second attempt, or if an appeal is granted, a third attempt. College Credit Plus students are exempt from retest fees.
Before Second Attempt:
- Students must wait 2 days before making a second attempt.
- Students are recommended to access and study from ACCUPLACER’s free study app or free sample questions for ACCUPLACER. These resources can be accessed through the Testing Services website.
Second Attempt — $20 Fee for any test or portion of test taken for a student’s second attempt.
Before Third Attempt:
- Students may complete an online appeal form to apply for a third retest attempt. The Manager, Testing Services, will decide if a third attempt in approved. All decisions will be emailed to the student’s Owens email account.
- Some examples for an appeal are, a student completing the College Preparation Course through the CCRC office, a disturbance interfered with the test administration, etc.
- If a third attempt is approved, there will be a $20 fee for any test or portion of test taken for a student’s third attempt.
*Students are encouraged to complete the College Preparation Course (CPC) through the Owens College and Career Readiness Center (CCRC) before appealing for a third attempt. Information about CCRC can be found at www.owens.edu/ccr/. College Credit Plus students are ineligible to enroll in CPC.
Third Attempt – $20 Fee any test or portion of test taken for a student’s third attempt.
Once a student has taken the placement test and begins the sequence of courses (ENG. MTH, etc.), the student is not eligible to retest. If a student has not attempted a class in at least two years, a student may complete a new placement assessment.
Testing Appeal Submission Form
Please follow the retesting procedure outlined above, then fill out the Testing Appeal Submission Form.
Students will have a $20 retest fee added to their Ozone account after completing the placement retest.
Learn more about how to pay a balance by visiting the Office of Student Accounts website.
No refunds will be processed. No fees will be removed from a student’s account. College Credit Plus students are exempt from retest fees.