Notify the Owens Veterans Services office of any changes in enrollment, address or major. This is in addition to notifying the Owens Records Office. Address changes also must be reported to the VA. Anytime a GI Bill® user registers, adds, drops or makes any changes to their schedule they must notify the Veterans Services Office so that the proper VA Certification is processed. Please submit any changes within 2 business days. Every semester a GI Bill® user only needs to send an email to the Veterans Services Office at email@example.com with their name, Owens College Identification Number, Chapter of the GI Bill® they are using and the number of credit hours they are taking.
Contact the Office of Veterans Services for instructions on transferring your benefits. An official transcript must be submitted to the Owens Records Office for evaluation. You must notify the Office of Veterans Services when the transfer evaluation is complete.
Armed Services Programs
The United States armed services, both active duty and reserves, have developed attractive programs to assist enlistees in obtaining a college education. Students should contact their area recruiter to learn about the numerous opportunities available.
- DANTES: www.dantes.doded.mil/
- GI Bill®: www.gibill.va.gov
- Air Force: www.af.mil
- Army: www.army.mil
- Coast Guard: www.uscg.mil/
- Marine Corps: www.usmc.mil
- Navy: www.navy.mil
Ohio National Guard Tuition Assistance
Students who have enlisted, re-enlisted or extended their obligation for six years in the Ohio National Guard are eligible to receive a grant to pay for 100 percent of their tuition. Interested students should contact their local guard unit for details and application procedures.
- Award amount: Equal to tuition charges (registration, lab, and parking fees are not included)
- Enrollment required: 3 credit hours or more
- Ohio National Guard Scholarship: https://www.ong.ohio.gov/scholarship_index.html
- Application: Contact your unit Training NCO for application procedures. Updated policies include that ALL National Guard Soldiers/Airmen MUST apply for Federal Tuition Assistance along with the Ohio National Guard Scholarship. Eligible students receive an approval letter from the Ohio Adjutant General’s Office. A copy of this letter should be submitted to Student Financial Services and the Office of Veterans Services in Veterans Hall room #101.
Many organizations have been improving their skills and have emerged to help veterans find employment following college graduation. Many companies or business organizations may seek veterans for employment because of their military experience coupled with a college degree.
The following sites are resources that may be valuable in your job search after graduating from Owens Community College. As always, please contact the Owens Office of Veterans Services for additional assistance.
- College Central Network: http://www.collegecentral.com/owens/
- USAJOBS: https://www.usajobs.gov/
- Ohio Means Jobs: https://jobseeker.ohiomeansjobs.monster.com/Veterans/VeteranInfo.aspx
- Owens Career Services: https://www.owens.edu/career/
- Consumer Information: www.owens.edu/financial_aid/consumer/
- Department of Veterans Affairs: www.va.gov/
- U.S. Department of Labor Veterans’ Employment & Training Service: www.dol.gov/vets/index.htm
- VA Health Benefits: www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/
- Ohio Veterans Bonus Program Web Site: https://veteransbonus.ohio.gov/
- Ohio Department of Veterans Services: http://dvs.ohio.gov/
- Associate of Technical Studies Degree: http://catalog.owens.edu/
- Ohio War Orphans: www.owens.edu/financial_aid/scholarships/
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Account : www.militaryonesource.com
- Request Official Military Transcripts: https://jst.doded.mil/official.html
- Request Official Air Force Transcripts: https://www.airuniversity.af.edu/Barnes/CCAF/Display/Article/803247/community-college-of-the-air-force-transcripts/
- State of Ohio Veterans Program: www.jfs.ohio.gov/owd/Program/veterans-home.stm
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.