Owens Community College Alumni Association History & Mission
The Owens Community College Alumni Association was originally established as a volunteer club in 1971. Since 2002, when the first full-time Alumni Association Executive Director came on board, the Association has actively engaged alumni and students in programs, events and services that energize interest, build loyalty and strengthen support of Owens Community College. Alumni Association membership, publications, special events and annual giving initiatives have grown steadily since then.
Focused on giving back to the community, as of June 2015, here are some of the Alumni Association's accomplishments since 2002:
- Launched in 2004, the Backpack to the Future program has supplied more than 3,947 backpacks and 71,011 pieces of school supplies to more than 145 kindergarten classes.
- The Association has established three endowed scholarship funds - the Detective Keith Dressel Memorial Scholarship; Michael W. Rickard Memorial Scholarship and the Alumni Legacy Scholarship. Each fund was started with an initial gift of $10,000. Now all three combined exceed $296,640 and have funded 54 scholarships totaling more than $58,300.
- The Association's Annual Golf Classic has netted more than $343,000 for scholarships and outreach efforts since 2003.
- The Association sponsored a classroom on the Findlay campus for $60,000 and donated $10,000 to begin the Success Program.
- In 2012, the Association pledged $100,000 to establish the Alumni Association Success TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) fund, which to date, has fulfilled $30,000.
- In 2014, the Association established the Private Stephen Machcinski and Private James Dickman Memorial Scholarship Endowment Fund to honor the fallen firefighters and in 2015, awarded the first scholarships.
The Owens Community College Alumni Association engages alumni and students in programs, events and services that energize interest, build loyalty and strengthen support of Owens Community College.