Documentation of the following must be submitted to the electronic documentation system by the required deadline. Failure to submit the documentation by the deadline will result in a student being denied access to clinical rotations. All health requirement costs are the responsibility of the student.
- Physical examination – Yearly
- Tuberculosis Testing – Yearly
- Flu Vaccination – Yearly
- COVID-19 Vaccination – Medical or Religious Exemption may be accepted, but may limit clinical site placement.
- Tetanus/Diphtheria – Booster required every ten years.
- Hepatitis B Immunity – May require dates of immunizations.
- Varicella Immunity – May require dates of immunizations.
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella Immunity – May require dates of immunizations.
- 10 Panel Drug Test – May be required depending on clinical site placement.
All students must be certified in CPR through the American Heart Association (AHA) – Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers.
Nurse Assistant Training Requirement
An Ohio Department of Health approved Nurse Assistant Training Competency Evaluation Program (NATCEP) must be completed within five years of the beginning of the first clinical course. Documentation noting successful completion must be submitted to the program prior to the start of the first clinical course. Students who are currently working in the role of a State Tested Nurse Assistant (STNA) may submit a letter of verification from their current employer detailing their job responsibilities. The Sonography Program Chair will determine if the student meets the criteria for the NATCEP requirement.
Owens Community College offers STN110 that meets this requirement.
|08/01/2022 – 09/02/2022||3:45 p.m. – 9 p.m.|
|08/29/2022 – 09/30/2022||10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.|
|09/19/2022 – 10/21/2022||3:45 p.m. – 9 p.m.|
|10/17/2022 – 11/18/2022||10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.|
|11/07/2022 – 12/09/2022||3:45 p.m. – 9 p.m.|
|11/28/2022 – 12/30/2022||10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.|
Background Checks Requirements
All students entering the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program are required to have completed a background check through the Department of Public Safety at Owens Community College. Students will be required to have additional background checks throughout their enrollment in the program. Students will be notified when it is time to complete this requirement.
Any student who has a conviction should complete the pre-application review process as the ARDMS indicates below.
The department administrator at the clinical affiliates may be contacted regarding a conviction. The clinical affiliate reserves the right to accept or refuse the student. Depending on the results, clinical placement may not be possible, even if the ARDMS clears the student for credentialing purposes.
Background checks by the Ohio Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification (BCI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are required. The student assumes the cost of the background checks.
For more information regarding background checks visit the following websites:
- The Ohio Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification (BCI) www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) www.fbi.gov
Compliance Pre-Determination Application
The following comes from the ARDMS website.
The Compliance Pre-determination Application (“PDA”) review process is for individuals who wish to determine the impact of a previous criminal or disciplinary matters on their eligibility to apply for ARDMS certification. The Compliance PDA review process is recommended for individuals who have not applied for the examination and are contemplating employment in the field of sonography or enrollment into a sonography program.
Individuals who have already started a program, completed a program, or are ready to apply for an ARDMS examination should submit their examination application and respond to the questions on the application relating to criminal matters and provide the requested documentation regarding such matter(s).
Under the Compliance PDA review process, ARDMS will review only actual (not hypothetical) cases in which an individual has been:
- Disciplined by a certifying body, licensing or other regulatory authority, accrediting body, or national professional association; or
- Convicted, pled guilty or nolo contendere concerning a crime (felony or misdemeanor), other than a speeding or parking violation. ARDMS will also consider matters involving deferred or withheld adjudication, suspended or withheld sentences, and military court marshals. The process is not available for matters involving arrest only or during a period when a criminal trial or plea bargain is pending.
Expunged cases must be reported and reviewed as a violation of Compliance Policy Standard 1.5. A criminal record triggers the Compliance review process, regardless of whether the criminal matter was expunged. ARDMS certifications are a measure of an individual’s ability to promote quality care and patient safety, thus holding the credential to a higher standard and necessitating a review of criminal proceedings that meet the threshold of Standard 1.5, even if they were later expunged. All Compliance violations are reviewed on a case by case basis in accordance with the process outlined in the Compliance Policies. Each matter is reviewed individually on its merits and whether the matter was later expunged may also be taken into consideration.
For more information, visit www.ardms.org/compliance-predetermination-application/.
This program is offered in cooperation with many area Sonography departments. The use of multiple clinical sites provides equity in clinical education as students have the opportunity to utilize many types of sonographic equipment and to participate in a wide variety of sonographic procedures. Students are required to complete 1,250 hours of clinical education. Students should note that there may be travel requirements of up to 75 miles, possibly more, from the Owens Community College Toledo-area Campus for their clinical site rotations.
- Bay Park Community Hospital
- Bellevue Hospital
- Blanchard Valley Hospital
- Flower Hospital
- Fostoria Community Hospital
- Fremont Memorial Hospital
- Fulton County Health Center
- Henry County Hospital
- Lima Memorial Hospital
- Mercy Defiance Hospital
- Mercy Health – Perrysburg Hospital
- Monroe Regional Hospital
- Perrysburg Medical Center
- Promedica Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Promedica Parkway Surgery Center
- Promedica Health & Wellness Center
- St. Anne’s Mercy Hospital
- St. Charles Mercy Hospital
- St. Luke’s Hospital
- St. Rita’s Medical Center
- St. Vincent Medical Center
- The Toledo Hospital
- University of Michigan
- University of Toledo Medical Center
- Wood County Hospital