In case of Fire/Smoke or Fire Alarm:
LEAVE THE BUILDING IMMEDIATELY
Call 9-1-1 or
The Department of Public Safety at (567) 661-7575
Leave the building – pull a fire alarm on the way out. View evacuation maps. >>
Use the stairs – NOT the elevator.
Alert others – as you leave; provide assistance if you can.
Go to a designated outside assembly point – find your supervisor (employees) or instructor (students). Move if your pre-determined assembly point becomes unsafe.
Alert first responders – if you believe someone is still in the building.
Do NOT stop to fight a fire – fire extinguishers are to aid in the process of evacuation.
Do NOT return until given the “all clear” by DPS or the Fire Department.
FIRE SAFETY TIPS:
- Try to close doors and windows as you are leaving the building.
- When evacuating try to avoid breathing smoke.
- Try to stay as close to the floor as possible when leaving; crawl if necessary/possible.
- If unable to evacuate; close doors and windows in your area and plug gaps where smoke may come in.
- Remain calm.
HAVE A PLAN:
- Know multiple exits in your area in case one becomes unsafe to use. View evacuation maps. >>
- Know your location in case you cannot evacuate; give this information to the dispatcher.
- Program the Department of Public Safety (DPS) phone number into your cell phone in case of emergencies: (567) 661-7575.