We are committed to community engagement and citizenship at Owens but we also consider your safety FIRST!
Please consider the following options for locating virtual volunteering opportunities. In-person volunteering/engagement opportunities must be carefully researched to ensure proper Covid-19 guidelines and safety protocols are being followed.
Great article filled with Service Learning ideas: https://medium.com/the-faculty/service-learning-during-coronavirus-easy-ideas-for-every-subject-59f8bb041f39
United Way of Greater Toledo offers opportunities through the following site: https://www.signupgenius.com/tabs/93d73da07a4c9efc35-mayvolunteer
The following organizations offer databases of opportunities by region or zip code:
Participate in the 2020 Census — https://2020census.gov/en.html
Transcribe with the Smithsonian — https://transcription.si.edu/
Observe Birds for EBird — https://ebird.org/about/
Contribute to Ecological Research with Zooniverse — https://www.zooniverse.org/
Volunteer Globally — https://www.onlinevolunteering.org/en
Service Learning Goals:
- To increase academic retention through involvement with community service.
- To encourage student citizenship on campus and off campus.
- To develop student leaders who can support, mentor and model success for first year Owens students.
- To develop sustainable and mutually beneficial community partnerships with local agencies.
- To support scholarship and increase opportunities for professional recognition and reward for students and faculty.
- To extend campus resources into the community and reinforce the value of engagement.
For More Information
For more information about academic service learning, please contact Krista Kiessling, Director Campus and Community Connections, firstname.lastname@example.org, (567) 661-2275.