We are committed to community engagement and civic action at Owens!
Many of our community partners are now offering in person volunteering again – YAY! Click here for the most current list.
Also consider the following options for locating virtual volunteering opportunities.
Great article filled with Service Learning ideas: https://medium.com/the-faculty/service-learning-during-coronavirus-easy-ideas-for-every-subject-59f8bb041f39
The following organizations offer databases of opportunities by region or zip code:
Transcribe with the Smithsonian — https://transcription.si.edu/
Observe Birds for EBird — https://ebird.org/about/
Contribute to Ecological Research with Zooniverse — https://www.zooniverse.org/
Volunteer Globally — https://www.onlinevolunteering.org/en
Service Learning Goals:
- To increase academic retention through involvement with community service.
- To encourage student citizenship on campus and off campus.
- To develop student leaders who can support, mentor and model success for first year Owens students.
- To develop sustainable and mutually beneficial community partnerships with local agencies.
- To support scholarship and increase opportunities for professional recognition and reward for students and faculty.
- To extend campus resources into the community and reinforce the value of engagement.
For More Information
For more information about academic service learning, please contact Krista Kiessling, Director Campus and Community Connections, firstname.lastname@example.org, (567) 661-2275.